If you would like to make money from freelance writing, there are plenty of places that may consider using or publishing your writing. If you’re passionate about writing, and need to either find a job or make some extra income, freelance writing may be just the thing for you.
Writers Market books usually have over 800 or 900 pages and list many opportunities for freelance writers trying to publish or sell their writing. Writers Market books not only let freelance writers know where they could try getting their writing published, but also give fantastic tips on what freelance writers should charge for their writing. There are also many other highly valuable tips including how to promote your writing, and some tips on blogging basics.
Writers Market books lists of who to approach does not only include the name of the place to approach with your writing submissions, but also includes contact details and submission guidelines. The target markets to approach are well covered and include literary agents, book publishers, consumer magazines and trade journals.
Writers obviously want to make money from freelance writing sooner rather than later. Freelance writers may get great ideas, tips, and lists of places to approach, from Writers Market books.
Whether you are an article writer, novel or short story writer, or poet, there’s a Writers Market resource book for you.
Publishing and selling a book, or getting writing published in magazines or trade journals are not the only ways writers can make money from their freelance writing.
Other freelance writing opportunities or options include:
- Writing descriptive and creative content for advertisement placements, for example for signs, banners, block ads, tshirts, posters, and brochures
- Writing descriptive and creative content, possibly also Search Engine Optimized content for online advertisements
- Writing articles that may need to be Search Engine Optimized for other people to use on their own sites
- Writing and selling ebooks
- Writing articles for a free blog you have, like a Blogger blogspot blog, and monetizing the site with affiliate links or banners, or Adsense ads, and working at driving traffic to the site
- Writing articles for your own site (or blog) (“your own” meaning a site where you pay for domain registration, and for hosting) and then monetizing the site with affiliate links or banners, or Adsense ads, or sell advertising space directly, and working at driving traffic to your site
- Getting paid to blog on your own site
- Getting paid to write blog articles on other sites
- Writing articles or blog posts for online writing sites that monetize their sites with ads – the site owner earns from ads on the site, and you earn a share of those earnings
- Entering (and doing well in) writing competitions
- Writing reports or explaining findings after doing Internet research work for other people
- If you speak more than one language, doing writing translation work
- Applying for (and getting) a wide variety of writing jobs offered on online freelance job sites like oDesk
If you think you would like to try and make money from freelance writing, there are plenty of places that may consider using or publishing your writing. If you’re passionate about writing, and need to either find a job or make some extra income, freelance writing may be just the thing for you.
© Copyright Teresa Schultz 2014